Friday 28 January 2011

How to make a custom bodice block

I've been meaning to post these pages from my "Odhams Encyclopeadia of Needlecraft" for ages.  It was published sometime in 1954 so there are no copyright issues now.

I LOVE to look through it as much for the language used, as the techinques described.

Here then, is an illustrated method of making your own custom body block (sloper).   I hope to be able to go through some basic manipulation principles with you which will show you how to change the position of darts for fit and style at various points throughout the year, and also, this book includes patterns for lots of lovely garments, based on these blocks, including a bra pattern.

Making your own dress block and then understanding how it relates to all other patterns is a brilliant way to understand how clothes are designed and constructed, it will help (as it did me) no end with commercial patterns too - this is basically the mechanism by which all patterns work.

These pages are  all very self explanatory,  click on the pics to make them larger - I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I do!










No comments:

Post a Comment