Monday 8 August 2011

Another month whizzes by


I know you probably didn't notice, but I've been away again - my body in not so sunny Cornwall, but thanks to this wonderful book, my mind firmly in (very sunny) Mexico... sigh ...  If only!

Now back I have a ton of stuff to do this month, my book cover is due, I have 7 keen beans signed up for my corsetry workshop at the end of the month, and work continues apace with the corset I am making up for the step by step instructions to be included in my corsetry book (the publication date of which has now been postponed to Spring).  Here's a 'test' panel I made up to check my colour scheme and techniques.  It's a shame you can't see the colour properly - a beautiful ballet shoe pink.


This fabric is faux silk - I thought it was silk when I bought it years ago, and subsequently discovered with the benefit of experience*, that it is actually polyester dupion which annoyed me somewhat as I paid a silk price for it, hey ho.. ANYWAY, the benefit is that it is shiny on one side and dull on the other which I have worked into my design.  Every cloud has a silver lining.

I like the corset cording details here.

To test if a fabric is synthetic or natural, take a lighter to it.
If the frayed edge burns slowly, then it's natural, if it melts and bubbles, it's synthetic.
It's not really clear here, but the body is dull, and the external bone casings are shiny


It's taking shape nicely and I am loving sewing with this colour.

Do you find that sewing certain colours makes you more or less enthusiastic about a project?


No comments:

Post a Comment