Saturday 8 August 2009

An easy way to sew darts

Today I have mostly been sewing darts using a method i've seen in various places on the interweb.  It works a treat!

First of all mark the bottom of your dart with a little cut on each leg.

Then fold the dart, aligning the two cuts.

On your sewing machine, make sure your top thread (the one that goes through the needle) is quite long.  Place the piece under your presserfoot and sew one or two stitches.  Then lift the presserfoot while the needle is still down, and bring that top thread forward.  

Pin the thread  to the end of your dart so that it creates a perfectly straight line of thread which marks the line for you to sew along.  Sew along the line and taper off at the end in the usual way.

et Voila!  A perfect dart.


7 comments:

  1. i like that! next time i'm darting i shall give it a whirl! x thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect...I know even I could make a nice dart using this trick..thanks lots

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nifty idea! I have stitched so many darts with a little curve in them, as I attempt to correct midstream and end up at the right place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever idea! That's for the tip :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always hate sewing darts byut that makes it look so easy. I'll try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super tip, Julia...and very clever to get an exact dart! Happy sewing :o) ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh - that's so simple and yet so useful, like all the best solutions. Now all I have to do is remember it next time I have to make a dart...:)

    ReplyDelete